HELP Math is the first digital, supplemental curriculum in the U.S. to address the specific issues of teaching mathematics to English Language Learners (ELLs). Students can simultaneously see, hear and manipulate the math content. The program shelters learning and provides interactive support and feedback loops which encourage math content knowledge and math skill development, as well as math terms and general academic English acquisition.
- Student-centered: enabling students to engage with material at their own pace. On the computer, students can move faster or slower through a lesson depending on their ability.
- Highly interactive colorful and musical: Triggers multiple modalities, incorporating voice, music, visuals, text, and interactivity.
- Research-based: as part of a large, multi-year U.S. Department of Education grant; research is conducted by the University of Colorado, using an experimental model with >1,000 students across 6 states.
- Proven Effective showing gains of more than 70%: for 6th and 7th grade ELL students on standards-aligned tests (NCTM) in independent research funded by the Colorado Department of Education.
- Delivers “Sheltered Instruction” techniques using technology: a proven, research-based educational approach for teaching academic content to ELLs such as visuals, repetition, and recycling prior knowledge to make content instruction comprehensible to the student while developing English language skills (Short and Echevarria, 1999).
- Aligns directly to math standards: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and to high-ELL state content standards and assessment frameworks for mathematics (grades 6-8).
- Targets vocabulary development: Spanish/English hyperlinked key terms and glossary with pictorial examples and audio reinforcement.
- Teaches test-taking skills: how to read, comprehend and answer look-alike questions from state standardized math tests.
- Provides interactive feedback: constructive suggestions for improvement.
| HELP Math engages students through interactive multimedia lessons that break down math terms and math concepts, so that students can easily understand and retain the math content
HELP Math Middle School (Grades 6-8) has 44 comprehensive lessons (over 100 hours of instruction), with four, 12 lesson series (two-three self-paced hours each):
- Numbers Make Sense – correlates to Numbers & Operations (Grades 6-8)
- Geometry ~ Go Figure! – correlates to Geometry (Grades 6-8)
- Algebra ~ From ABC to XYZ – correlates to Algebra (Grades 6-8)
- Data Analysis ~ How Likely! – correlates to Data Analysis & Statistics (Grades 6-8)
HELP Elementary School (Grades 3-5) has 29 comprehensive lessons (over 100 hours of instruction), with two-three self-paced hours each:
- Numbers and Operations – (Grade 3-5)
- Numbers and Operations Algebra – (Grade 3-5)
- Geometry and Measurement – (Grade 3-5)